Meru Networks was founded in 2002 with a new vision on wireless networks. That this vision became reality has been emphasid by Gartner who have created a new generation of wireless networks espicially for the Meru solution. They were convinced Meru offers possibilities on other vendor can offer at this moment.
The Meru Networks solution offers a centralized wireless LAN, both for indoor and outdoor use. Meru customers experience no difference in application performance between their wired and wireless networks, regardless of the number of clients or the demanding nature of the mission-critical applications deployed.
Key-points in the Meru system are:
- Virtual AP: The single channel approach and one BSSID result in one large virtual AP where all clients are coordinated through the Controller
- Seamless roaming: Zero-loss roaming offers a perfect handover from one AP to the other resulting in perfect voice quality at all times and no delay in real-time data applications
- Scalability: -No more need for reinvinting the channel plans after an extension of the network has been done; all APs reside on the same frequency.
- Throughput: Instead of having different access points on different channels, one can now have enterprise-wide networks on different channels resulting in a net throughput that is 3 times (2.4GHz) or even 8 times (5GHz) higher than in normal networks.
- b/g performance: Normal networks suffer from 11b and 11g client coexistance. Meru guarantees a perfect coexistance where both clients get the throughput they deserve. This problem will reappear with future 11n clients.
- High density: Meru APs offer up to 128 simultaneous client connections. This is a number originated out of practical tests! For all tested Voice-over-WiFi solutions, Meru offers the highest number of simultaneous voice calls (with the best MOS score) even when mixed with data traffic
- 11n support: Thanks to the single channel approach, Meru can still offer a complete 11n network asides from a b/g network. One could again have multiple 11n networks on different channels resulting in phenomenal throughputs! The Meru Networks solution consists out of access points, a central controller and the optional E(z)RF software packets for monitoring, real-time track and tracing and coverage planning.
Dual-radio, tri-mode Mesh Access Points for smaller enterprise environments
They are all part of what Meru calls its Mobile SCALE solution. This solution comprises Meru Controllers and Meru Access Points and the idea is to provide flexibility in scaling WLAN solutions. Large enterprise networks might consist of several hundreds of AP’s whereas a small-sized office usually has enough with just a couple of AP’s.
Thus, the further might need the large and stackable MC5000, while the latter needs the small Meru MC500. What all Meru WLAN’s have in common is the fact that the wireless intelligence is centralized on the Controller. That concept enables the central management of the Meru AP’s and an easy implementation and configuration of new AP’s in possible future network expansions!
All Meru Controllers run the same software package, System Director™. All security settings - that are the best there are on the market - are configured through this celebrated package. Furthermore, it enables the easiest imaginable RF planning (not the classic difficult channel configuration!) and the best-possible circumstances for data traffic, video (thanks to Meru’s Air Traffic Control™ technology) and voice.